Monday, September 22, 2008

Mini Review: Aloan - Better In Springtime



Artist: Aloan
Album: Better in Springtime
Year: 2007
Rating: 2/5

(Written on 22 August 2008)

This is one really unsatisfying album. Many albums can just be forgettable to me, but Better in Springtime definitely leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Buying it after hearing One Dance for Destiny on their MySpace, I was extremely disappointed when I found that One Dance for Destiny (quite a masterpiece) was the only good song on it. OK, there's also Sick Little Doll that comes close to it, but most of the songs on the album wouldn't have been so abysmal if Aloan had a better idea of what's trip-hop or if it wasn't for that crappy rapper that appears on most of the songs. And I don't say he's crappy because I generally don't like rappers. I liked the ones from Earthling - Radar or Archive - Londinium (not to mention Massive Attack), but this rapper is absolutely awful for some reason. Not once I was tempted to turn off the music or play a song I like, because I barely could not think at how disgusting this album is.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this album unless you're into crappy alpine faux-trip-hop with emphasis on energy (something that has barely anything to do with trip-hop).

Edit: And I was about to forget. Le Matin says that this album is nearly perfect (sic), that they're comparable to trip-hop classics (bleah) and that they might be THE Swiss band to withstand international competition and comparison. Yeah, right, as if Watch the Men Fall or Swandive don't exist. Don't believe the hype.

No comments: